Although work is a financial transaction where people are paid for their contribution, the brain experiences work as a social system. In this system, every aspect of the leaders presence has social meaning. Therefore, leaders can be sabotaging performance and hurting their own effectiveness even when they think they are doing everything correctly.
On the flip side, leaders who know when and how to connect, encourage and invigorate individuals and teams will not only see profitable growth, they will gain a long-lasting competitive advantage through the rise in creativity and innovation.
This class not only heightens awareness leaders have of the impact they have on others, it teaches them how to choose words, actions and emotions to inspire others to excel. The ability to connect with the social brain will be the distinguishing leadership ability in years ahead.
- Become emotionally “self-alert”
- Release thoughts and feelings so you can align with others
- Establish emotional coherence to enhance coaching, negotiations, influence and change management
- Shift the emotional tone from negative to positive
- Deliver an inspiring vision
- Retain employees through increased satisfaction
- Motivate improved performance and creativity
- Reduce resistance to change
This program can be delivered as an inspiring keynote or expanded to a 1- or 2-day program.
The 2-day program outline includes:
I. Being Emotionally Self-Alert
- Understand the emotional brain and its effects on behavior
- Identify how emotional states show up in your body
- Discover your primary emotional triggers and options for action
II. Developing Awareness of Emotional Sources in Others
- Learn how to build trust and rapport
- Understand and use the three levels of listening
- Develop leadership presence to increase your impact
III. Influencing Change
- Identify the three factors needed to sustain change
- Uncover emotional attachments in others that could hinder change
- Shift the emotions of others from negative to positive to decrease time for change to take place
IV. Coaching for Breakthrough
- Adapt the GROW model to coach people through change
- Listen for blocks and opportunities
- Practice breakthrough coaching techniques
V. Delivering an Inspiring Vision
- Address needs and pain in an inspiring way
- Craft a compelling story
- Ensure follow-through
- Practice energy management
- Be mindful of your inlook and outlook
- Use personal visioning to ensure the changes you want to make “stick”
PROGRAM CREATOR: Marcia Reynolds, PsyD, Master Certified Coach and president of Covisioning, has 30 years of experience working with a diverse set of corporations and associations around the world to help develop their best and brightest talent into amazing leaders. Dr. Reynolds is also a world-renowned coach and past president of the International Coach Federation. Excerpts from her two books, the award-winning Wander Woman: How High-Achieving Women Find Contentment and Direction and Outsmart Your Brain have appeared in Fortune Magazine, Harvard Management Update, Forbes.com, CNN.com and The New York Times, and she was interviewed on ABC World News and National Public Radio. Her doctorate is in Organizational Psychology.